Thursday, February 12, 2015

Only You

Courtesy of the Platters, circa 1955:

Only you can make this world seem right
Only you can make the darkness bright
Only you and you alone can thrill me like you do
And fill my heart with love for only you
Only you can make this change in me
For it's true, you are my destiny
When you hold my hand I understand the magic that you do
You're my dream come true, my one and only you
Only you can make this change in me
For it's true, you are my destiny
When you hold my hand I understand the magic that you do
You're my dream come true, my one and only you
So why am I posting lyrics to a song recorded 60 years ago? I've always been drawn to 50s music and this song is a great song but that's not the reason. It's deeper than that. You see this song was played 50 years ago for two young people just starting their life journey together. And what a journey it's been. A lot happens in the span of fifty years; more than most people remember. Since February 13, 1965, so much has happened, yet they both still make each others world seem right. Tomorrow, my parents, Joe and Bernie Rybitski celebrate 50 years of marriage. While I am sad I cannot be there to help them celebrate, I can pay tribute to them.
As I reflect now, I realize that my childhood was pretty damn good. I believe I can speak on behalf of my brothers and sister for this as well. There was discipline when needed, support when asked or needed or sometimes just a lap to lay on when lounging on the couch. Now I can't say it was always rosy but what adult can when thinking of their childhood? I bet even my parents can't claim we as children, teenagers and young adults were always easy to deal with. But, they did their best and we're all pretty successful now with families of our own. I'm over simplifying this because it's hard to put into words how much I appreciate them and the example they set. I never can quite tell them enough. Sometimes I'll do something with my girls and think, "Good God, that's my mom or dad!" But that's OK to me because of the foundation they set. Isn't that the greatest tribute? When I think of fifty years of marriage I am in awe. I can't wait to reach that milestone with Diane. I have a pretty good chance. As my dad always says, "You come from good stock."

Mom and Dad, I hope you have a Happy Anniversary. Keep listening to The Platters sing Only You. It was your wedding song and it's still perfect.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was so true Steve. We had an awesome upbringing and I cannot thank Mom and Dad enough for all they gave us then and still give us now. Happy 50th anniversary mom and dad!!!