Saturday, May 1, 2010

One Man Road Trip

Road trips are great experiences; when you're with others. However, what exactly inspires someone to take a road trip, solo? I mean, 8-9 hours in a car, by yourself, is not the best of times, conversation wise. Now, I have a theory, and I hope no one takes offense to this but it's based on nearly 18 years of service. There are no stronger bonds, outside of marriage or love (the two not always tied to one another), than those forged when serving alongside others in the military. I'm not saying there aren't strong friendships made in the civilian workforce. All I'm saying is that once some dude leaves the company you work in and 13 years later he gets promoted, are you going to drive 900 miles for a 30 minute ceremony? I don't see it happening, but this is exactly what I did and it wasn't a really hard decision. The great thing is, Diane knew as soon as the invite came that I was going. Military spouses are a different breed all together, but that's an entirely different blog.
So, I got in my car yesterday at 3:30 am and headed on to the open highway. Now, when you're driving by yourself, there is lot's to think about. The first thing I realized is that a dump has a little different odor in the middle of the night than in the day, but in the end, it's still smells like crap. I decided to speed past that place lickety split. Another thing that crept into my head, especially on the county roads before the main highway was, "Man, this is exactly how a slasher flick begins." You see, it was a dark road with only the moonlight. As I rounded a bend, I saw a car parked on the side of the road. As I passed the car, the driver flicked his cigarette out the window, started his car and pulled out right behind me. Not saying I was a little paranoid, but I was the only one on the road and this cat starts following me. A few miles later, he turned right when I had to go left. Whew, that was close!
Of course for the next 8 1/2 hours I listened to tunes, sports talk radio, static and sometimes just the wind rushing outside my window. When I got to the Mojave, I was inspired by nature's canvas. It was truly amazing. All, in all, it was a great drive, but more importantly for a great cause. I realized that my life is great. I know, some of you are thinking, "You didn't know that already?" Yes, Yes, I did, but when you're wrapped in your everyday routine, it's sometimes easy to forget how good you have it. It's takes a one man road trip to reflect on the great family I have, the few very close friends I've made and how lucky I truly am. Now, James, if you're reading this, I'm already planning my next trip as soon as you make Chief. I hear Georgia is a lovely place.

No comments: