Thursday, September 2, 2010

I never even got a chance

Wow, all too often, life-altering events happen and it makes people sit back and reflect. For me lately, not too much has been going on, so I haven't wanted to write anything. Until now. I just found out that a very special person passed away. Allow me to share my story of just how special she was. Back around late May/early Jun 1992, while I was dating Karen Hughes, I let my judgment get the better of me (a recurring theme in my life), and I started a fight with my mom. Initially, I just thought it was a typical fight until I was thrown out of the house. As I sit back and think about it, it was deserved. But at the time, I was devastated. I really had no where else to go. My sister was nearly 8 months pregnant with twins, so I couldn't burden her, so I thought in my head. So as I sat there sobbing on the couch of the Hughes' home, Mrs. Hughes offered me a place to stay. This was despite the fact that Linda (Karen's older sister) was being put out of her room. Mrs. Hughes was truly a lifesaver at the time. She took me in even if it meant a sacrifice for her own family. This has never left my memory. Now, the last time I saw her was in August of 1993. I remember it vividly. I just returned home from my Air Force training and had 14 days before I was leaving for Japan. One day during this period, I put on my uniform and drove over to her house to show her what I had become. For those who know me...before joining, I was a college drop-out selling shoes for a living. For a 21 year old, that isn't a great career path to start on. Anyway, I remember seeing her and she seemed proud. I do remember thanking her later on for her generosity in a letter, but I never had the chance to thank her personally. Time went on and I moved on to far away places. But I always held her in high regards and still do. But alas, I am saddened tonight because now I will never get the chance, because I just found out she passed away. I hope someday, if given the chance, I can pay it forward and help someone when they are down without hesitation. This is the example I was shown, not only my my parents, but by Mrs. Hughes...a truly remarkable woman.

No comments: