Sunday, September 15, 2013

Bringing You Back

It happens to all of us, doesn't it? I mean, you could be at work, or in your car or just out for a walk and it happens. Something will strike your senses and bring you back to a simpler time. It may bring on a happy memory or may trigger a wave of emotion you didn't know was there.  For the most part, songs or movies are my biggest trigger. I'll be going about my own business and a song comes on the radio that I haven't heard for a long time and I'll start thinking about the time I first heard it.  For example, I think one of the greatest bands of all time is Rush. This post is not to debate this. Now, I can tell you where I was when I heard my very first Rush song. It was my garage and one of my brother Chris' garage bands was playing Tom Sawyer. It was in the early 80s and at the time, I thought it was the best song ever.
However, it's not always music that are my triggers. Just last week, before we had a heat wave, there were a few days of cool weather. As I was driving to work, I had my window down and I caught a scent in the air that was an automatic trigger. Someone had built a fire and the smoke was in the air. Couple that with scent of some dying leaves and I was transported back to the fall in Colonie, NY when I was growing up.  I started thinking of all the great times when I was growing up.  All  I needed was an apple cider donut from Yonder Farms and it would have been the cherry on top.
I hope this doesn't mean I'm getting old and will start talking about the good old days because believe me, I have some good days right now. But every once in a while, it's pretty cool to get one of these triggers that bring me back. What about you?

No comments: