Sunday, August 19, 2012

Decisions, Decisions

I've never really had problems making decisions, especially when it comes to the things I do on a daily basis. In fact, it's relatively simple if you look at like I do. You see, I learned a long time ago from one of my bosses that leaders don't shy away from decision making. "Don't be afraid to make the call," he would say. "You'll either be right or wrong and if you're wrong, we'll discuss why and you'll move forward with more knowledge." This advice has worked well for me over the years... at work anyway.But, there is one decision I am struggling with and it's wearing on me a little bit.
I just extended my current enlistment for two more months. When I submit the paperwork this week, I will be required to stay in the Air Force until 30 Sep 2013. I did this for one reason and one reason only...to request a retirement date from the Air Force for 1 Sep 2013. Right now, it looks like I'll be retiring next year...about 20 years, 6 months after I first joined. That decision was easy. I am ready to start a new chapter in my life and the active AF life doesn't fit in. Oh, but there is one looming decision that I am struggling with. You see, before I retire, I will have one more shot at E-8/Senior Master Sergeant. Keep in mind, this December will be my sixth time testing. You see, only the top 2% in the entire AF active duty Enlisted Force can be E-8. It's very competitive and after five times, I am actually 95% convinced I'll make it. This is based on past years results. Anyway, this is where it gets a little difficult for me. With all my time I've saved up, if I do have a retirement date of 1 Sep 2013, I will be effectively done with the AF about 10-15 May 2013. Results for my promotion come out in Mar 2013 and if I do make, I have 10-days to make the biggest decision of my life: Accept the promotion and with that, commit to two more years minimum in the AF or decline the promotion and retire. There are many factors that are swirling in my head right now. I'd be lying if I didn't admit the economy was the biggest one. If I make it, I'm looking at a $500/month raise and that equates to many more dollars in post-retirement pay. However, on the flip side, marketability in the civilian work-place diminishes with age, so the longer I stay in, the harder it will be to land a decent job. There's the thought of doing those two more years and if I'm really motivated to do it: Mandatory physical training, long hours, possible deployments. The list goes on and right now, I'm tired of it all. I was once told that you do 20 years because you have to, but anything over that you do because you want to. And that's probably the biggest question of all. Do I want to do more? It's only a decision I can make and it's the toughest one yet. But ask me tomorrow, I may change my mind. It's been known to happen.

No comments: